A Donor-Advised Fund is a personal approach to giving. It allows an individual, family, or business to retain a say in the charitable distributions from their gift, and is an excellent means for organizing and tracking all of one’s charitable giving.
Donor-Advised Funds allow named advisers to the fund to suggest grants, and when the current advisers are gone, advisement for the fund may be passed to following generations. This gives all the advantages of a private foundation without the administrative responsibilities. Stacy Palmer, editor of the Chronicle of Philanthropy, stated in a Washington Post article, “A lot of people like how easy they are. You can give without having to set up a private foundation, and give to many causes rather than writing a check to one particular cause. We call them charitable checking accounts.”
How it works
- You make a gift to your community foundation — you can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets. At PACF, a Donor Advised Fund may be established with a gift of $10,000.
- We set up a special fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You receive tax beneﬁts in the year your gift is made.
- You recommend uses for the fund — working with our professional program staff to support the causes and organizations you care about most.
- Your recommendations are presented to our community foundation board for approval and we handle all the administrative details and issue grants to charities in the name of the fund you establish. However, if you prefer, grants may be made anonymously.
- Your gift can be placed into an endowment that is invested over time. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants addressing community needs. Your gift — and all future earnings from your gift — is a permanent source of community capital, helping to do good work forever.
Current Donor Advised Funds at PACF
Hughes Family Fund
John and Bonnie Latzer Fund
Shaun Hill PASS Fund
Ted Hill Memorial Fund
Troy Family Fund